Friday, August 27, 2010

Cinder Block support structure 8/25/2010

Isn't it beautiful? A Sunday newspaper and a roll of masking tape. You can even stop to read the Peanuts comic. To think that this flimsy paper could support a heavy cinder block is outrageous! Of course that's what I thought before i even began trying.








After sitting for a few minutes, I said to myself, just go with the flow. So this is the beginning of my, go with the flow moment. Needless to say this piece isn't holding up anything anytime soon.








This marvelous triangular prism shape is starting to look good. My physics class from a year ago kicked in and I began to realize i needed something thick and sturdy, but was level so it would hold the block balanced. An unbalanced block is a dropped block, and also a fail.












This piece right here, is what i thought to be the final product. How horribly wrong I was...








Since the piece before didn't hold, maybe I needed more support on the bottom? I bent the bottoms to make more surface area to stabilize on, yet this also was unsuccessful. I was determined though.









It's a miracle! It stands! Even though its half it's height. Taking the bottoms off where the joints were bending, gave it more stabilization. And voila, it holds!








I even decided to give it some sprucing. It has to look good for its debut.

No comments:

Post a Comment