Thursday, September 16, 2010

Final Squares critique

(This might sound a little out of it, and I do apologize. I'm still sick unfortunately. I should have posted earlier...but me and my procrastination and sickness... they don't mix well. )

During the critique, I couldn't get my mind off of all the flaws I could see in my project. But while my group kept giving me feedback, I started to see less and less of the flaws, but more of the overall picture. Even though it is obvious to tell which is playful and which is periodic, they both have their own uniqueness. I love what PJ said, that my periodic image reminded him of frog eyes. Looking at it a certain way I have to agree. That or a chameleon. its neat what you can pick out to see in just a couple of black and white squares.

When i was coloring the periodic, I accidentally colored in a couple different squares that were supposed to be beside the white ones. I looked at it and thought, hmm this looks interesting, so I left it. When I brought them to class and looked at every ones work, I think I became self conscious that mine weren't anything out of the ordinary or something no one would think of off the bat. But when my group was critiquing, I slowly started to feel better about my pieces. They work in different ways and still clearly represent what needed to be represented.

Also what makes them a lot better is the craftsmanship I put into cutting the outer edge. I took a lot more care this time. It's not like I didn't care last time, I just didn't realize that the edges were wavy at all until it was pointed out to me.
The one out of six that was chosen for me to continue on with was my continuance circles. I had to disagree at first because i really liked my periodic squares and thought it would be interesting to make them 3D. After talking with Mr. Davenport about which one to use, I leaned towards the proximity circles. They were stronger than I had first thought and all the empty space left me tons to work with. I instantly knew they were the ones I wanted to use because I started coming up with multiple ideas on what to do with the textures. I'm excited to see how the textures are going to turn out and I've got ideas in mind on what to do with the 3D project. Cant wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment